Type: Informative Essays
Sample donated: Stephen Nunez
Last updated: October 5, 2019
Managing Marketing Programs| January 1 2011 | ASP Tools, Advertising Agency, STP Analysis, message content of advertisements, creative content of the advertisements. | Advertisement & Sales Promotion | Maggi Noodles Integrated Marketing Communication Integrated marketing communication is integration of all marketing tools, approaches, and resources within a company which maximizes impact on consumer mind and which results into maximum profit at minimum cost Promotional Tools of Communication: (I). ASP TOOLS USED BY NESTLE INDIA LIMITED (NIL) Different Communication Media used by NIL * PRINT ADS Maggi does not focus heavily on print media during its launch since its initial target audience was mothers and kids. * Some advertisements in the print media were used to highlight the convenience factor of Maggi. (As shown below) * Maggi introduced this advertisement in various magazines in 2003 to celebrate 20 years of its product in India. * Maggi has recently come out with advertisements in some weekly magazines for its new Atta noodles and rice noodles variants.
* Maggi rice noodles mania had the highest column centimeter in print during Jan – Aug ’07 among the instant foods category.Growth in noodles/pasta print advertising grew by 42% in Jan-may 05 compared to Jan-may 04. Of this, Maggi vegetable Atta noodles had 92% share. * Maggi’s expenditure on print media is much lower compared to other media. [Source: adex India (a division of tam media research)] * SALES PROMOTION: Tools used by Maggi Noodles for Retail Sales Promotion Initiatives: * Exchange schemes * Price-off offer * Coupons * Scratch and win offer * Money Back offer * Maggi was distributed free in schools and offices to promote trial * Return gifts on empty packs Maggi fun book and stickers with funky animal facts. * Organized Retail Sales Promotion * 7% discounts on 6 piece pack (56 MRP), 5 rupee discount on 8 piece pack( 78 MRP). These are promotional schemes given by retailer itself not by NIL.
* Company is coming up with schemes like giving one soup pack with 8 piece pack. * In Past, the company has promotional schemes like 4 piece pack with that of 36 instead of 40. * Point of purchase advertising: Point-of-purchase advertising is any form of special display that advertises merchandise.As their main target is children, Maggi packs are usually placed in low counters, shelves or hung in twine baskets within their eye level. Because, children often influence purchases by pestering their parents to buy things on seeing them.
* Consumer Promotion: Sampling: Initially NIL aggressively promoted Maggi noodles through several schemes like distributing free samples, giving gifts on their return of empty packs, etc. the company has spent a huge amount of money in communicating the product’s benefit to the target consumers. A Look at the Display: Large pack sizes at the top with decreasing pack sizes as going downward. Why? This is because that for a retail outlet the more value is generated large pack thus they try to project big size at convenience place. * Outer display shelves are purchased by company (Reliance mart). * PUBLIC RELATIONS * The Maggi Club – the children under 14 were invited by press advertisements and distribution of leaflets to become a member of Maggi club by sending logos cut from 5 empty Maggi wrappers.
Maggi projected it as “Maggi clubbers are fun lovers” and intended to use it as reference group. Benefits offered to Maggi-clubbers are various games like Snap safari game, Cap and mask sets, travel India game, Disney today comic. To obtain each gift the member has to send 5 wrappers as purchase proof.
* Some special privileges were given to regular members time to time like, discounted tickets of Appu Ghar. * Organized Maggi school quizzes and sketching RESULTS OF PR ACTIVITY: * Getting closer to regular customer. * Boosted the sales. * Making valuable direct marketing database. * Recently, again, they have started Maggi fan club. This time it is operating online and they are providing user name and password. INTERACTIVE MARKETING Internal marketing (IM) is an ongoing process that occurs strictly within a company or organization whereby the functional process aligns, motivates and empowers employees at all management levels to consistently deliver a satisfying customer experience. * Me and Meri Maggi ads * Display racks with outlets with note books for the same.
* Special site dedicated for the said purpose Message content of any communication * Rational Appeals: Related to the audience’s self-interest. * Emotional Appeals: Stir up negative or positive feelings using humor, fear, pride, joy, or even disgust. Moral Appeals: Related the audience’s sense of right versus wrong Messages in Advertisements- Maggi Noodles * Maggi 2-minute Noodles * “Taste Bhi Health Bhi“ * Chaska taste ka, health rice ka- Maggi rice noodle mania comes as another unique ‘Taste Bhi Health Bhi’ offering from the house of Maggi. * Maggi Vegetable Atta Noodles, an offering that exemplifies “Taste Bhi Health Bhi”. * “Just add Garam Paani … Carry on Jaani” Why NIL uses different Media categories and promotional elements: As the message appeals and positioning is different in Maggi noodles product line so it became very necessary for the company to use different channels to.
This can be understood through STPD analysis. (II. ) Advertising Agency- Publicis Groupe Type of agency Advertising Company ownership Publicis Groupe Accounts won Maruti Suzuki (A-Star and Grand Vitara), Voltas India, United Biscuits (McVities), Carrefour Retail, Cleartrip. com, Futures Group (USAID), Aegis, DLF Pramerica, Nestle Corporate-South Asia Region, Apollo Tyres Accounts lost None reported Publicis Capital is now a powerhouse that combines brand management and entrepreneurship that’ll challenge benchmarks and paradigms in the time to come.Most importantly, it has affected such success singularly because of its belief in being one team.
This has infused enough ownership and accountability amongst senior members, while at the same time got them wedded to a common vision. A vision that lends itself into its philosophy of creating ‘Contagious Ideas That Change The Conversation’ Publicis Capital has been able to demonstrate this at a national level by changing the conversation on Maggi Noodles – inarguably the biggest food brand in India. Publicis Capital created the idea of ‘Me And My Maggi’.Instead of the brand talking to the consumer, the campaign allowed the consumer to own the brand and talk about their unique stories with Maggi. The industry recognized Publicis’ point of view and most importantly, brand Maggi tasted its highest ever YOY volume growth, that took on a humongous base.
(III. ) STPD Analysis: Segmentation to Differentiation (Customer Profiling) Segmentation| Targeting| Positioning| Differentiation| Age| Kids| Fast to cook, Good to Eat| Taste| Eating Habits| Youth| 2-Minute Noodles| Flavors|Lifestyle of Urban Families| Office Goers| Taste Bhi, Health Bhi| Packaging| | Working Women| | | | Health Conscious People| | | * Classic Noodles – 5 – 10 yrs. * Veg. Atta Noodles – Health Conscious. * Rice Mania – Teenage * Cuppa Mania – Office goers, Working women. * Mass marketing has become segmented marketing * Improvements in information technology * Media fragmentation Need for integration: * Consumers do not differentiate the source of the message * Conflicting messages confuse the customer * Integration produces a consistent message which leads to stronger brand identity IV. ) Message Communication ; Feedback * Sender: Message from NIL * Encoding: NIL Ad Agency Creating the Ad * Message: The Maggi Ad * Media: The Newspaper, TV, Internet, etc * Decoding: Consumer read and assimilate the Ad * Receiver: Home, office, target * Response: Aware, will buy, will not * Feedback: Action from consumer to NIL * Noise: Distraction, not clear receiving the message Advertising Design: Theoretical framework: * Hierarchy of Effects: Maggi ads have already crated enough awareness, now they focus on the other steps of hierarchy of effects model.
The advertisement of Maggi provides information about nutrition facts and several flavors available also attract kids with colorful background and execution of ads. This ultimately results in actual purchase. * Music: Music is use as a stimulus in the Maggi ads to catch customers attention through its famous jingle “Just 2-minutes”. This has created a strong brand recall value. * Rationality: Maggi ads are always contains information about the product.
It states that, the noodles can be prepared within just 2- minutes, it’s a healthy food which is also tasty, also price related information are communicated through the advertisements. Emotions: Maggi ads have emotional appeals as it shows, hungry child comes from out and says that he is hungry and mother says just 2-minutes and prepares Maggi noodles. * Scarcity: as they offered a gift like a small toy or a Maggi Tiffin box along with purchases of 6 Maggi noodles packets. This was offered for a limited period of time.
Message Strategies: Maggi follow different message strategies. They use cognitive strategies as product information is provided for the consumers on the ads.Nestle India Limited (NIL) also involves affective message strategies as they relate Maggi noodles with the emotions, like it is a fun product for kids. Executional Framework: * Maggi follow different message strategies. They use cognitive strategies as product information is provided for the consumers on the ads. NIL also involve affective message strategies as they relate Maggi noodles with the emotions, like it is a fun product for kids. * Dramatization: For example, in one ad, it was shown that a child, who is away from home, is writing a letter to his mother that, he is missing his mother and the noodles she used to cook for him.
Then he smells something and look back, he saw his friends cooked Maggi noodles for him and they says, they are also missing their mom. * Informative: Info about nutrition facts and famous 2-minute cooking process. Message Source: India is a country where people are star-struck by film stars, cricketers, politicians, and brand communication messages delivered by celebrities and famous personalities generate a higher appeal, attention and recall than those executed by non-celebrities. So, NIL used Preity Zinta, a very well-known actress of Indian cinema, as their celebrity spokes person.